COVID-19 Update: We’re Making Changes So You Can Feel Safe
Extraordinary times call for extraordinary measures. Drs. Hohm and Holsen have always have taken patients’ health and safety seriously, but now is the time to exercise extra caution. As the world around us changes, it is up to us to adapt to prioritize the health of our patients and employees.
What We've Always Been Doing:
Our office has always been very meticulous about complying with OSHA standards for infection control. Below are examples of some of the ways we have always done it.
- Treatment rooms are completely wiped down with hospital-grade disinfectant wipes between each patient, including, but not limited to, faucet handles, countertops, lamps, shelves, and anything we or a patient may have touched
- Many surfaces are covered with disposable plastic, which is changed between patients
- Instruments are disinfected and then heat sterilized after each use following the protocol laid out by OSHA. Even if a pouch of instruments is opened but unused, we run it through the sterilizer again. We conduct weekly tests on our autoclave (the sterilization machine) to make sure that it is continuing to pass CDC standards.
- The countertops up front are wiped down with disinfectant regularly, as are all chairs in the reception area.
- All doctors and staff wash or sanitize their hands between patients and wear the proper PPE during treatment (masks, gloves), and we offer you our patients safety eye wear.
Our New Protocols During the Pandemic:
With the current pandemic, we know that extra precautions must be put into place to ensure the maximum safety for our patients. As a result, our office will be implementing the following rules to create an even safer and healthier environment for our patients and ourselves:
- Hand sanitizer is displayed for patients to use upon arrival
- Plexiglass dividers will be erected around our front desk to protect both the patients and staff from aerosols while communicating
- A contact-free forehead thermometer will be used to take staff and patient temperatures
- A pulse oximeter reading is available if patient deems it or Dr. deems it necessary
- Patients with fever or showing symptoms of possible COVID infection will have their appointments rescheduled.
- After checking in, we will ask that patients wait outside or in their cars until we call them to come in, to avoid a crowded waiting room. If you prefer to wait in the office, we will give you a mask to wear.
- Appointments will be managed to allow for social distancing between patients. That might mean that you will be offered fewer options for scheduling your appointment.
- We will do our best to allow greater time between patients to reduce waiting times for you, as well as to reduce the number of patients in the reception area at any one time.
- We request that patients arrive alone for their appointment, unless the patient is a child.
- Every patient will be asked to do an antiseptic mouth rinse before the start of any procedure
- Lastly, all of our staff will be wearing masks, including the receptionists at the front desk. During procedures, the doctors and assistants will be dressed in the proper PPE (masks, faceshields, gowns), which will be changed out between patients
We will continue to update and improve our protocols as needed. We are truly grateful for your patience as we work to make sure our office meets all requirements. We understand that this is a difficult time for all, but Drs. Hohm and Holsen and staff are optimistic, and we are confident that we will continue to provide you with the ultimate dental care you deserve!
If you have any questions about our new protocols or what to expect at your next appointment, please do not hesitate to call us (262) 567-0770.